Veterans and Eligible Dependents
VA Education Benefits:
The Road Map for Success!

There are many types of Veteran Education benefits. It can be overwhelming to try to make sense of it all. Many veterans, active duty personnel, spouses, and dependents can qualify for more than one education benefit program. Depending on individual circumstances, one of these programs may give a student better benefits than the others. Please remember to contact Lanier Tech’s School Certifying Official if you are planning to utilize your VA Benefits. (The VA will not contact the school on your behalf).

Please devote some time to explore all your options. Below you can see each benefit. Click on the links below to expand a brief description.

Chapter 33 - Post 9/1 GI Bill®
Chapter 33 - Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill® - Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
Chapter 35 - Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance
The department of Veteran Affairs has developed a step-by-step process that may help a student compare the different education programs and help the student decide which is best for them.
If you are ready to start on the Road Map for Success,
then follow these links to the GI Bill® website.
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®
Eligible individuals include those who serve on active duty at least 90 aggregate days beginning on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service. (Discharged individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible, or have a discharge or release for a medical condition Existing Prior to Service (EPTS), Hardship (HDSP), or Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD).
The Post 9-11 GI Bill® will pay eligible individuals full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students. A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. For those enrolled solely in distance learning the housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents (($754.50 for the 2015 fiscal year). An annual books & supplies stipend of up to $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.
For more information on the GI Bill® Website visit:
Download the Chapter 33 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 33 - Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB)
As of August 1, 2009, service members have the ability to transfer unused education benefits to their spouses or dependents. First you must go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits.
For more information on the GI Bill® Website visit:
For more information on the Department of Defense website visit:
Download the Chapter 33 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty
If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after two years of active duty. Please consult with the Education Services Officer at your installation, or call the toll-free number below, for information about your eligibility.
If you are separated from service, you may be an eligible veteran if you: entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985; received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of your first obligated period of service; received an honorable discharge; continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty.
For more information on the GI Bill® Website visit:
Download the Chapter 30 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve
The MGIB-SR® program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. To qualify, you must meet the following requirements: Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990; Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT); Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement; Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit. You will also retain MGIB - SR® eligibility if you were discharged from Selected Reserve service due to a disability that was not caused by misconduct. Your eligibility period may be extended if you are ordered to active duty.
For more information on the GI Bill® Website visit:
Download the Chapter 1606 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. Some reservists may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill® to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5400 in additional GI Bill® benefits. You must be a member of a Ready Reserve component (Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, or Inactive National Guard) to pay into the "buy-up" program.
For more information on the GI Bill® Website visit:
Download the Chapter 1607 (REAP) Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 35 - Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance:
To be an eligible for Survivors' & Dependents' Education Assistance you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:
a veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces; a veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence; a service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force; a service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power; a service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient care for a VA determined service-connected permanent and total disability may be eligible for DEA benefits. (Effective December 23, 2006)
For more information on the GI Bill® Website visit:
Download the Chapter 35 (Survivors & Dependents) Educational Benefits Packet
VA Forms and Helpful links:
GI Bill® Website:
VA's preferred contact method:
VA Shopping Sheet
Download Lanier Tech's VA Info Pack:
Chapter 30 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 32 (VEAP) Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 33 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 35 (Surivors & Dependents Ed. Assistance) Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 1606 Educational Benefits Packet
Chapter 1607 (REAP) Educational Benefits Packet
Calculate your Monthly Housing Allowance:
The rate is E-5 with dependents using the zip code as instructed below:
If you attend The Forsyth Campus, use the Forsyth Campus Zip Code = 30041
If you attend any other of our campuses, use the Oakwood Campus Zip Code = 30566
If this is your first time applying for benefits:
If you are transferring from another college:
If you attended another college or technical school, and used VA benefits, you must submit a 22-1995 form "Change of Program/Place of Training" to the school certifying official.
Do you need to verify your attendance?
How to request your military transcripts?
To request your Official Military Transcript, please log-on to the Joint Services Transcript web-site:
-Select “Okay” at the bottom of the screen
-Press “Register” and follow the steps
-Create your user name and password
-Then “Request an Official Transcript” for “Lanier Tech”
Submit your "Request for Transfer Credit" Form:
Chapter 31 - VA/VR:
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

A VA Veteran who is eligible for an evaluation under Chapter 31 must first apply for services and receive an appointment with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). The VRC will work with the Veteran to determine if an employment handicap exists as a result of his or her service connected disability. If an employment handicap is established and the Veteran is found entitled to services. The VRC and the Veteran will continue counseling to select a track of services and jointly develop a plan to address the Veteran's rehabilitation and employment needs.

The rehabilitation plan will specify an employment or independent living goal, identify intermediate goals, and outline services and resources that VA will provide to assist the Veteran to achieve his / her goals. The VRC and the Veteran will work together to implement the plan to assist the Veteran to achieve his or her employment and / or independent living goals.

If A Veteran is found not to be entitled to CH 31 services, the VRC will help him or her locate other resources to address any rehabilitation and employment needs identified during the evaluation. Referral to other resources may include state vocational rehabilitation programs; Department of Labor employment programs for disabled veterans; state, federal or local agencies providing services for employment or small business development; internet-based resources for rehabilitation and employment; and information about applying for financial aid.
For more information about this benefit click here:

For more information regarding VA Benefits, the processes for verification, or any other VA/Lanier Tech related questions, please contact Lanier Technical College’s VA School Certifying Official.
Phone: 770-533-7022
Fax: 678-989-3181